The chapel that housed inside is considered by many historians as the oldest of Ibiza, and the truth is that the Cave of Santa Agnès has history but is also a place of legend
Popularly known as Santa Agnès cave, the Chapel of Santa Agnès is an underground natural cavity about 60 meters from the surface, near San Antonio and at the edge of the Talaia of Sant Antoni. The chapel that housed inside is considered by many historians as the oldest of Ibiza, and the truth is that the Cave of Santa Agnès has history but is also a place of legend.
Legend has it that a stormy night in 1300, the eve of the feast of St. Bartholomew (August 24), the crew of a ship promised that, if they could save their life, would deliver the image of Santa Agnès carrying the inhabitants the first port they reached. Sant Antoni became the cherished sanctuary and height was preserved in the Holy Cave, well known already in the fourteenth century documents. Another legend says that the pastor even tried repeatedly to take the image to the church of Sant Antoni, but every night it disappeared mysteriously and returned to the cave, which was interpreted as a sign that did not want to be anywhere else.
The cave, with rumors of an imminent collapse, stopped being used in the early nineteenth century and fell into oblivion. However, a century later, in 1907, the underground cave was rediscovered by the Archaeological Society Ebusitana, led by Arturo Perez-Cabrero. The result was checking the real existence of a church with an altar and limed banks work following a challenge collapsed. In 1981 it was restored and a new image of Santa Agnes was placed. In the festival of Sant Bartomeu usually celebrated a Mass inside.
The truth is that some historians consider the Chapel of St. Agnes as the oldest church in Ibiza, as there are signs of catacumbario character of the place in early Christian times, when the great Roman persecutions against Christians took place. Anyway, the visit to this landmark is mandatory for lovers of history and mystery.
HOW TO GET From San Antonio, take the road to Cala Salada and Santa Agnès. In a roundabout at the end of a hill, after passing the high school and before the sports complex Can Coix, see to the right a stone chapel now converted into the restaurant Sa Capella. The entrance to the cave is a few meters from the hotel parking
SCHEDULE The cave is privately owned. Thanks to an agreement, can be visited in summer, from 9.30 to 13.30 hours, five days a week. Today, however, this agreement is under negotiation and the cave is closed