search

CHURCH OF SANT ANTONI DE PORTMANY


IMPORTANT INFORMATION

The temple exhibits an air of strength, which highlights the watchtower and white walls lined courtyard. And is that the architecture of the church of Sant Antoni owes its characteristic charm to the privateering raids

The church of Sant Antoni is, after the Cathedral of Ibiza, the second oldest of the island. The first temple was authorized the archbishopric of Tarragona in 1305, built during the fourteenth century and reformed in the XVI century. The tower, with battlements on one of its sides, was built in the seventeenth century. We can say that the site chosen for the construction of the original chapel was the port where the church still stands. Then, between 1674 and 1691 and for safety reasons, the house of the vicar on the ship, just as it was built in the church of Sant Miquel de Balansat. Said the vicar house no longer exists because it was demolished in the late nineteenth century, although a lithograph of Archduke Lluís Salvador gives an idea of ​​the architectural physiognomy.

Iglesi

The temple exhibits an air of strength, which highlights the watchtower and white walls lined courtyard. And is that the architecture of the church of Sant Antoni owes its characteristic charm to the privateering raids: to show these, the lookouts were signs of fire and smoke or sounded a horn characteristically and then people ran for shelter to the church. Why the temple has no windows. Also, the doors were iron that could not be burned, and a thick juniper beam inside the blocked. In the grounds there was also a drinking water well if the closure lasted for days. If the enemies approached the temple, the villagers doused them with hot oil from the bell tower.

SCHEDULE The church is usually open during most of the day. Mass schedule in winter: every day at 19 am and Sundays also at 11. Mass schedule in summer: every day at 20 am and Sundays also at 11

HOW TO GET To reach the church must Sant Antoni enter the rotunda of 'Egg of Columbus' and follow the Passeig de Ses Fonts, parallel to the docks. You have to take the first road on the right, Carrer Ample, which leads up to the church square