Puig de Missa was one of the four temple-fortress erected on the island as protection against attacks from North African corsairs, along with those of Sant Miquel, Sant Jordi and Sant Antoni
In the so-called Quartó of Xarc during the Arab domination from 1303, which already find the name of Santa Eulària-, it rises a mountain crowned today by the church in honor of this holy, Santa Eulària. The Puig de Missa was one of the four temple-fortress erected on the island as protection against attacks from North African corsairs, along with those of Sant Miquel, Sant Jordi and Sant Antoni. The imposing church crowns a hill with houses at his feet and the river of Santa Eulalia on the hill, next to the flour mills (main claim during enemy invasions).
After the arrival of Christians to Ibiza in 1235, a temple was built on top of the mountain. This building collapsed after a corsair raid in the sixteenth century, so the present church was opened in 1568 as the vicarage. The nightmare of pirate invasions intensity dropped from the seventeenth century, when it was decided to expand the temple structure with attractive porch columns opposite the entrance and two chapels, one on each side of the presbyter. Inside the temple is a baroque altarpiece that presides over the main altar by the sculptor José Ferreres in the seventeenth century and from San Millan (Segovia), brought to the island by the Marquis de Lozoya to replace the one that had burned during the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939).
The Puig de Missa of Santa Eulària was declared a picturesque spot by Decree of August 4, 1952, protection assimilated then of Cultural Interest with the category of historical site, both the church with its tower of defense as the whole of the mountain.
SCHEDULE The church is usually open most of the day. Masses are held only on Sundays and holidays, at 11 am, as the other days are celebrated in the Chapel of Our Lady of Lourdes, in the center of Santa Eulària
HOW TO GET Upon reaching the roundabout entrance to Santa Eulària, from Eivissa, turn left, by the ring road. At the next roundabout, past the bridge, turn right. Take the second street on the right (C / del Sol). Once there, take the second road on the right and bottom will rise to Puig de Missa. It is indicated. There is a small parking area near the temple