The agreement signed in 1234 by the conquerors of the Pityuses, Guillermo de Montgrí, Peter of Portugal and Nunó Sanç, fixed the construction of a parish dedicated to Saint Mary as one of the first obligations in Vila Eivissa
The assembly formed by the Cathedral and Castle occupy the highest point of Dalt Vila and the entire city, chosen as a place of worship by different civilizations over the centuries. In this enclave the ancient Arab mosque, replacement of a Roman temple, was erected and this, in turn, could be built on Phoenician and Punic constructions. However, the agreement signed in 1234 by the conquerors of the Pityuses, Guillermo de Montgrí, Peter of Portugal and Nunó Sanç, fixed construction of a parish dedicated to Santa Maria as one of the first obligations in Vila Eivissa .
Thus the parish of Santa Maria was actually a month after the Catalan conquest of 1235. The apse and the bell tower, Gothic, are the fourteenth century. Cathedral, however, presents a mixture of styles result of ongoing reforms. In 1538 he was added the deep chapel and in 1592 the sacristy, covered by vault. The construction of the walls severely affected its structure, but the repairs did not begin until 1712 and assumed the multiple substitution by other Baroque Gothic elements. In 1782 Pope Pius VI erected the episcopal seat of Ibiza and the medieval renovated church became the Cathedral, which would have to remain perpetually suffragan of Tarragona, as had happened in their former state of parish because of linking the ancient conquerors.
The cathedral keeps many works of art, among which a Gothic custody of gilded silver, made by Francesc Martí in 1399, two Gothic tables Santa Tecla and San Antonio, painted by Francesc Comes in the fourteenth century and two in this case the fifteenth century, the master Valentí Montoliu, representing St. James and St. Matthias The exterior stands out for its simplicity and robustness of its buttresses. A carving of Santa Tecla crown cover. The interior is baroque, with chapels on the sides and in the apse. It has important works of art, many of which are set forth in the Diocesan Museum, which is accessed from the same temple
HOW TO GET Plaça de la Cathedral is located on top of Dalt Vila. It can be accessed from any entrance to the walled enclosure, but the nearest is the tunnel is Soto Fosc
SCHEDULE Autumn and winter: 10 to 13.30 hours. Spring and Summer: from 9.30 to 13.30 and from 17 to 20 hours. Masses: Thursdays and Sundays at 10.30 hours